Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Mount Everest -1996 case N # 1

During my spring break, I was reading some study cases of my Organizational Behavior and Communication subject, and one of them was the Mount Everest -1996 case. I did an analysis of this team work and I gained some important learnings.
  I believe that there are important lessons to learn from the Mount Everest -1996 case. If I point a finger to identify blame the individuals responsible for this catastrophe, I will miss the opportunity to identify valuable lessons from this case.
I would like to focus on three important learning:
·         I learned that leaders must pay close attention to how they balance pressure in their organizations. They have to find a balance between overconfidence and low confidence. Leaders must proceed decisively when faced with challenges, and they must inspire others to do so as well.
·         I learned that effective communication between team members is really necessary. Leaders must stimulate divergent thinking in their organizations, insure that each participant gets a fair and equal opportunity to voice their opinions during the decision process, and they demonstrate that they have considered those views carefully and genuinely.
·         Finally, I think when an organization suffers a terrible failure, others try to learn from this bad experience.  Having the opportunity to avoid repeating the mistakes of the past seems like an admirable goal.

By concluding that human error had caused others to fail, our ambition and self-confident can convince us that we will learn from those mistakes and will succeed where others could not.

No comments:

Post a Comment